There are several options for creating a blog, including the college’s engage: blog service and many external blog providers. If you would like to discuss possible options please contact the HSS Web Team – firstname.lastname@example.org
How we can help
The CHSS Web Team is here to provide advice and assistance to any member of staff requiring a blog setup.
From custom-built site solutions to advice about managing WordPress pages, the team is more than happy to help.
This service is available to CHSS staff, and although each blog is ‘owned’ by a member of staff, they may be used with students.
- The web address for an engage: blog will follow the format: www.blogs.ed.ac.uk/your-blog-title www.blogs.ed.ac.uk/your-blog-title
- Your blog will (roughly) follow the design of this site: the top header and footer are standardised, and layout will broadly follow the style of these pages, but you can select large header images, themed colours, fonts and icons.
- The blogs are hosted by the College.
- You have access to the WordPress admin panel, customised to your level of experience, where you can create posts, pages, manage author permissions and respond to comments.
Support is provided by the CHSS Web Team. There are also many online resources available, and the college has a network of bloggers and WordPress users who regularly share tips and host discussions about blogging best practice.
To request a blog on the engage: platform get in touch with the College Web Team: email@example.com
Other WordPress blogging options
The WordPress blogging tool is also used by some free and paid for external services:
WordPress.com is a widely-used free service with paid-for ‘Premium’ options.
- Web address: your-blog-title.wordpress.com
- Wide choice of templates for the design
- Premium features include more design options, storage space, no adverts and video podcasting
Edublogs is an education-focused free service with a paid-for ‘Pro’ option.
- Web address: your-blog-title.edublog.org
- Wide choice of design templates
- Pro-version includes discussion forum functionality, more design options and no advertising