Welcome to SPORT MATTERS
I am writing to introduce you to The Academy of Sport at the University of Edinburgh.
SPORT MATTERS is the blog that supports the work of the Academy of Sport.
The Academy of Sport is a network of collaborators both within and external to the University of Edinburgh that provides a gathering place for the worlds of sport.
Building upon a remarkable sporting heritage dating back to at least 1591, the Academy of Sport, established in 2014, was born from a desire to serve communities locally and globally.
Two premises guide our work. Firstly that sport has a part to play in addressing the challenges that face humanity in the 21st century and secondly to serve as an independent think tank that addresses these challenges through evidence, dialogue and advocacy.
As a gathering place for the exchange of ideas and sporting enlightenment we are neutral, inclusive and at the heart of an international sporting landscape.
The Academy builds upon three pillars of activity: impact, study and dialogue.
We aim to:
- Engage a critical mass of knowledge, research, strategic collaboration, influence, access and opportunity through sport.
- Provide an independent sports observatory to address problems and suggest solutions.
- Advance an understanding of sport’s contribution in addressing global, local and international issues.
- Influence future agendas policy making and its impact through advocacy and evidence based interventions.
- Advocate the potential of sport and education to make a difference to people’s lives.
- Provide access to the University of Edinburgh and sustain a commitment to exploring the potential of sport to reach disadvantaged communities.
- Engage with governments, international sports organizations and those who seek to influence the world through sport.
- Build a better understanding of the role of sport in diplomacy, cultural and international relations, and foreign policy.
- Promote the links between research, evidence, education and advocacy.
Our work supports independent research about issues and problems within sport and where sport is part of a broader solution or intervention.
The SPORT MATTERS blog aims to provide an honest, open, evidenced, safe space for dialogue about the value and potential of sport.
I hope you will join us.
You can get in touch with us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling +44 (131) 651 6577.
Professor Grant Jarvie
Chair of Sport and Head of Academy of Sport
The University of Edinburgh