A Victorian Gow

Scenk-and-Ghemar

This image was published in Edinburgh around 1850 by G. Crawford, 6 South St. Andrew Street.  It is from a drawing c1849 by Louis Ghemar and was clearly based on the Raeburn classic. Lithography was by Schenck & Ghemar of Edinburgh.

It is understood that Louis Ghemar came to Edinburgh around 1845 at the invitation of the artistic lithographer Friedrich Schenck after they had met in Paris.