From the learned minds of the Pubs and Pub Committee |

As we finally drag ourselves away from the sofa, the television, and the excessive food and booze consumption that made the festive season an enjoyable if somewhat corpulent affair, we felt it was time to formulate and share some of our New Year’s resolutions with you, our cherished readers. Whilst we cannot guarantee that we will abide by these noble thoughts 12 months hence, we feel they offer some helpful tips for making this PhD year go a little smoother. If anyone of you out there have any New Year’s Resolutions you’d like to share, we’d love to hear about them in the comments section below.

Embracing resources‘ by Tim Galsworthy, Topical Editor.

I began my History PhD in September 2018 and I feel like I’ve made a pretty good start. My literature review is done, I’ve submitted funding applications, and I’ve produced a research plan. My New Year’s resolution is to go beyond planning, to leave the safe harbour of secondary works, and embrace primary sources. It’s been almost two years since I last perused an online newspaper or got up close and personal with archive boxes. This year, my resolution is to accept the challenge of primary research, to escape my fear of dead ends, and let the sources show me where my PhD is heading.

Being kinder (to myself)‘ by Sophie Almond, Contributions Editor.

My New Years resolution is to be kinder to myself. It’s so easy to become consumed by your PhD, encroaching deadlines, and general imposter-like feelings. I’m going to make a concerted effort this year to remind myself regularly that I am amazing, that me and my work are enough, and that everything is going to be okay. I’ve started walking every evening to give myself some head-space from work, and I’ve found that listening to podcasts really helps me to unwind after a busy day (I’m loving Fearne Cotton’s ‘Happy Place’ at the moment). I am more than my PhD, and I hereby pledge to spend less time stressing and more time putting myself first!

To slow down (if only a little)‘ by Sarah Thomson, Contributions Editor.

Clichéd though it might sound, my New Year’s Resolution is to slow down a little and enjoy this year as much as I can. My 2018 was full of big decisions: I heard back from funding applications, decided where to study for my PhD, changed job (twice), then finished my Masters, moved to a new city and started my PhD in the space of two weeks! 2019 has given me a lot to look forward to (I start teaching this month!) so my biggest goal is to focus on enjoying these opportunities and making the most of them, rather than always thinking about the next grant application or conference abstract!

Setting achievable deadlines‘ by Ian MacNeill, Publicity Editor.

Meeting deadlines is a necessary, although occasionally (often?) unpleasant part of the PhD journey. I don’t imagine I’m alone in saying that while sometimes I have totally nailed a deadline, there have been others that I have straight up missed or ended up submitting a piece of work that was distinctly sub-par because I was rushing to make it to the church on time. 2019 brings with it a very real deadline: I am submitting this year so the clock is ticking. Accordingly, my New Year’s resolution is to set ‘achievable’ deadlines – in the past I’ve been guilty of setting myself targets that I stood little chance of making which I feel affected my work. So this year I’m all about setting deadlines that I feel comfortable I can meet and give me the room to complete a thesis worthy of the time that I (and others) have put into it.

Getting organised‘ by Laura Harrison, Publicity Editor.

This year marks the beginning of my #ECRlife, so my main resolution is to find a way to systematically work on all of the commitments and goals I currently have. At the end of my PhD I essentially eschewed all other responsibilities, which was very necessary, but now I feel like I’ve lost all of my time management skills at a time when I have more on my plate than ever before! I’m hoping a new organisation system will help suppress the feeling of being slightly overwhelmed.

Restarting my bullet journal‘ by Louise Morgan, Contributions Editor.

As an undergraduate I was someone who prided myself on my organisational skills. I always had my bullet journal out ready to plan the next essay, class, supervision, and coffee break. The first three months of my PhD felt a bit manic and unmanageable, so my New Year’s Resolution is to get back into the good organisational routines I had at undergrad (something I never thought I would say). I’m starting another bullet journal and aiming to spend some time each evening unwinding and planning for the next day, instead of waking in a panic… I’m just waiting for my order of fancy multi-coloured pens to arrive.

Images: Flickr, Picepedia, and Pixabay.