This accessibility statement applies to the Engage website (www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk)
This website is run by the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at The University of Edinburgh. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- the text will not reflow in a single column when you change the size of the browser window
- contrast ratios are not within limits
- some PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- some alternative image descriptions are incorrect or missing
- labels are missing or incorrectly applied
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 5 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: email@example.com
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
CAHSS is committed to making its websites accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 – Non text content.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.5.3 – Label in name.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 3.2.2 – On input.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 – Name role value.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.1 – Info and relationships.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.8 – Location.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.1 – Parsing.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.1 – Bypass blocks.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.6 – Contrast enhanced.
We plan to review and address these issues by December 2020.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents. By September 2020, we plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
Our accessibility roadmap [add link to roadmap] shows how and when we plan to improve accessibility on this website.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on September 2020. It was last reviewed on October 19 2020.
This website was last tested on October 19 2020. Automated and manual testing was carried out by staff of the Digital Innovation Team (CAHSS).
We tested a representative sample of pages and theme templates from across the site.
- our main website/platform, available at https://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/
- other parts of the website: https://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/guide/, http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/ben-jonsons-walk, https://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/guide/getting-started-videos/, http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/sport-matters/, http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/peresearch/, http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/science-and-religion/, http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/language-mind/, https://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/guide/using-blogs-in-higher-education/